Sunday, April 1, 2012

March 31, 2012-A VERY long post

Intro

Have you ever woken up and said, "self, today is going to be one of the biggest days of my life"? Ya, me neither. BUT, looking back on the day I'd say it now.

Many have asked for the details of today. For that reason I decided to post the events. I am also doing you all a favor as I know you aren't going to want to read all of my womitty details. Therefore, choose the sections you wish to read. It's like a choose-your-own-adventure. But not really.

Our History

I knew of Michael while still at BYU. I saw him a few times (and always thought he was pretty good looking). We worked on a few sets together but there was nothing more than that. Apparently we even had a conversation, to which I have no recollection. But, he remembers it.

After I graduated from BYU I worked as a producer assistant in Salt Lake for a year, while I applied to graduate schools. In the fall of 2009 I went off and lived an amazing life in New York. I attended NYU and received a Master of Arts degree in Cinema Studies.

But, I missed production. I had applied to Chapman University the same time I got in to NYU in film studies. But, that year Chapman reorganized their program. After I had applied they wrote me and said because of the reorganization, I could get reimbursed or apply for a different program. Having worked as a producer assistant for several months now, I had fallen in love with it. So, I applied to Chapman's MFA in Television and Film Producing. It was shortly after I applied that I got word that I got accepted into NYU and Chapman's producing program. It was a tough decision but I ultimately decided to go with NYU for various reasons. And, I don't regret it.

I knew I could apply to Chapman again. So, in 2011 I did. And I got in. Again.

I was excited but bummed to have to leave New York, a place that I loved after having made incredible friendships. But, I remembered that a few people from BYU were in the LA area. So, I shot a few people a message. I came across Michael Van Orden and saw that he was at Chapman. So, I sent him quick message asking him his thoughts on Chapman as he was finishing up his first year in the graduate directing program. He got back to me a few weeks later, after I was accepted. We went back and forth for a few weeks about the program, what I should expect, who I should contact, etc. I was excited to know at least one person. And, having a better idea of the program helped me transition much more easily.

A month or so later Michael emailed me. He explained that second year directors make two short films, one in each semester. He asked me if I'd be interested in producing his first film that year. I was definitely up for the challenge (having no clue about what to do). We spoke a few times during the summer in preparation for the filming. I jumped right into things the moment I arrived in Orange, CA, helping get his short film set.

The experience was difficult but I learned a lot. Sometimes the first movie you make is the most difficult as you have to do things that are outside your comfort zone. But, as a director/producer relationship, we were always together working on the film. Michael and I developed a great friendship and working relationship. I knew I hit the jackpot on that one so I wanted to keep up the relationship with Michael. I began to be interested in him and decided to see how things went on that front.

Thanks to some help from my roommate, Rochan, who encouraged both Michael and me (unbeknownst to both of us), we began to give each other the "I like you" signs. We began to casually date a few weeks before we shot. We became official shortly after our film ended principal photography. From there our relationship developed.

We both went home to Utah for the Christmas break because both of our families are from Utah. We met each other's families and both felt very comfortable with the other's family. It was at this time that we seriously began to consider marriage.

Soon after we got back to Orange, we both began working on two TV Pilots for the school. I was a supervising producer on one while Michael directed the other. We were both heavily involved in both, however. After working together twice now, it was clear we make a good team.

Now jump forward a few months. I had been looking at rings for a few weeks. I had an old roommate, Amber, come into town and she helped me pick out two that I liked. Michael was shooting his second short film for the year last weekend and he was busy with that. So, we decided to officially get engaged shortly after.

Together we went and bought the ring last week. It was only a matter of time now. It was up to him.

Being Efficient

It's spring break. That, in no way, means I get a break. All it means is that I get a few days without going to class to get caught up on homework and other projects. I wanted to start the break off on a good foot so I had to be efficient.

It is conference weekend, as many of you know, so I started the day at Michael's watching conference. But, we had an event we had to get to in LA last night so I needed to plan my day as I still needed to go home and get dressed. So, I had Michael figure out the route of our drive. I had asked if leaving at 4 was enough time (the event started at 6) and he said we needed to leave earlier, at 3:30. That kinda changed my plans so I had to get moving.

At that point I looked at his computer and saw a google map for a specific location to some place we had been together a few months before, when we first started dating. I thought that was odd and asked him about it. It was clear that I shouldn't have.

He got flustered and things began to click. The plan was to stop by the place on our way to LA and he would ask me then. He had it all planned that we would drive by the exit and then he'd have to use the restroom so we would have to pull over. Once we got to the parking lot he'd say he just needed to get some medicine from his trunk. He'd pull out the ring and then pop the question.

But, that didn't happen. I was proud of him, though, for coming up with something meaningful and having no one around (those were his two specifications from me :)). But, now, we had to come up with something because we didn't want to wait any longer and we needed to get to LA.

So, we decided to go to El Monte. El Monte, CA is where Michael's mom was raised. She was raised in a two bedroom home with one bathroom. Mind you, there were 11 kids. It is a huge symbol to Michael and his family of humble beginnings and hard work. I thought it was perfect so we headed that way as it is on the way to LA.

A pencil drawing of the house.



The house is no longer there. Part of the land was donated to the LDS church and then, years later, the final part was bought by the church from Michael's grandparents. After the purchase, the church built an LDS meeting house and parking lot on the land.



The actual placement of the house is now the parking lot of the church.



It is on the corner of Utah and Asher in El Monte.



Michael shared with me some family memories. He explained how much his Grandparents mean to him and how influential they have been in his life. Everything his mom learned to raise him with came from the humble beginnings in this house. To his family, this land is holy. It is because of his family that he is who is he.

There is a tunnel right next to the church that was part of the area. It runs right under the 10 Freeway. He took me to the tunnel, to avoid any people, and proposed.

But, he had to add a silly twist, as he does with anything. He pulled out his phone and started playing this song:



He let it play for 20 seconds and then asked me to marry him. Shortly after the 20 seconds, as you will notice, it becomes a bit more energetic. It was classic Michael, but very meaningful.

The beautiful ring.



Youface!

But, our night did not end there. We quickly headed to LA where we had VIP tickets to the Student Emmy awards. Every year the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Foundation recognizes outstanding student filmmakers. Chapman received several complimentary tickets and Michael and I were invited to attend along with some other undergraduates from Chapman. One film from Chapman won while four films from BYU won. It was a great evening for all.

My ticket with my name spelled incorrectly.



My VIP pass. All that meant was I could have access to a side room and eat food. It wasn't very exciting.



What we didn't know is that we would see some of our most favorite people from BYU, two of which are mentors that have helped both Michael and I during our time at BYU and after. We were able to celebrate with them while still having a fun night of celebrity sightings.

The stage.



The room.



Michael and I with Cat and James, two other Chapman students that went with us.



Those that I saw included (feel free to look them up):

The hosts, Mark-Paul Gosselaar (Zack Morris) and Breckin Meyer.

Others:

Sandra Oh
Ed Ornelas
Rex Lee
W G Snuffy Walden
Tony Hale (Hi, Brother)
Anna Paquin
Scott Porter
Cress Williams
Russell Hornsby
Beth Riesgraf
Aldis Hodge
David Ono
Robert David Hall
Lamorne Morris
Kunal Nayyar
Paul Blackthorne
Geena Davis
Matthew Gray Gubler
Eliza Coupe
Zachary Knighton
Cat Deeley (Our judges!)

I was on the side of the room so it was hard to get a good picture of the announcers. And, the screen was so bright in the dark room that it was hard to not get a washed out photo. This was the only semi-successful picture I could get of any of the announcers. Anna Paquin, ladies and gentlemen.



FBO

Now that we were official, we had to try to trick people with April Fool's Day and all. We let our closest friends and family know but waited until April 1st to put it on Facebook. Most people believed us. But, there were a few that were skeptical ;)

FYI: as soon as you change your relationship status to engaged, you get new ads that show up. Today my facebook is flooded with ads for:

Wedding Invitations: Personalized wedding invitations. Priced right to announce your special day.

E-N-G-A-G-E-D: 5 things to do before your wedding!

Cute Bridesmaid Dresses! Your bridesmaids will thank you for making it easy!

EyeCare 20/20: Are you a bride to be? Click "like" so you will soon be able to see!

It is actually kinda fun to reload the page to see what new ads I get.

Aftermath

So, in sum, we will be getting married August 4th in Utah, at the Oquirrh Mountain Temple. For those that know, I've always wanted to get married in the Salt Lake Temple but it is closed for two months for renovations. Because I'd rather have family attending, I chose my second option. I helped with the videos for the Oquirrh Mountain Temple open house several years ago and have always thought it was a beautiful building.



And that's my story. Now for Michael's turn.

Michael's version

He decided to use my version. He says my version is better than his anyway :)

8 comments:

  1. Very nice! Congratulations you guys~and good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TANTI AUGURI! Ashley and Michael we are very excited you! We love you, mom and dad CONGRATULATIONS!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley thank you for sharing your engagement story with us. I told Milt, "I hope it is not an April Fool's Day prank because I really do want them to get married." As soon as I saw you two together I knew you would make a wonderful family. Many congratulations to both of you and by the way August is a very good month to get married. Have you considered the 29th? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oquirrh is my local favorite. Great, great choice. I am glad I believed you right off the bat and didn't think of the April Fool's possibility until later...and, even then, didn't put too much stock into it. Congratulations. You seem wonderful for and with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. eeep!!! this is so so so exciting! I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Ashlay! Ha! Ha! Who spells it like that anyway? Well, I guess it will be a complete day & night, never to be forgotten!
    I'm so happy for you!!!
    Come see me at The Perfect Dress! Ask for me, I have a "Friends & Family" discount for you!!!
    Good Luck!
    Tasha Worthington Beach
    801-568-3737 (to schedule your Bridal Appointment!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats Ashley (and uh--Michael too even though I don't know you)! I'm so happy for you both! I found out from Jacq who told me to check FB and then I found this blog. Fun, Fun! But since I don't check FB often, I'd prefer an email announcement of your next major event ie. moving, job change, graduation, baby, etc....) Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats to both of you! How wonderful!! Sending all my best from Florida!

    ReplyDelete