Friday, September 11, 2009

Remembering 9/11

Several days ago I visited Ground Zero. It was a quick visit and nothing drastic happened. But I remember the somber feeling that was there. People seemed to talk a bit quieter and walk a little slower. I went back to 8 years ago.

I won't go into my story of where I was that day. We all remember. But I will say this. It is still very much a part of the people's lives in NYC. I see posters on the streets about it or advertisements trying to help people that are still suffering from the effects.

I'm grateful to be in the city today, not just as a tourist but as someone who lives here and is understanding what it is like to be a New Yorker. I'm not there yet, that's for sure. But I can see how the city kept living. It's in these people's blood. And I was reminded of that tonight.

I don't know how intentional it was but tonight was the first night of a YSA Conference in NYC. And of course the talks were on remembering, especially 9/11. The Stake President at the time of the tragedy spoke to us and shared some personal insights into the events. It was amazing and touching to hear his thoughts and experiences and to remember what a tragedy it was. But even he said that, paradoxically, many people have come out with a new type of faith and hope in life.

I don't want to get too preachy, and I don't really want this blog to turn into a sob fest. But I thought it appropriate to at least say a few words on the subject as today is the anniversary. It was such a terrible tragedy. But to see the strength of the people who lived it is truly inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment