Thursday, February 11, 2010

Explosion in midtown

This morning there was an explosion in midtown Manhattan on 19 W 6th Avenue. To give you an idea of where that is in relation to my life, I live on 25th street between 5th and 6th Avenues. The explosion was six blocks from my apartment. To give you an even better idea of where that was in relation to where I was, my work is located at 33 W 19th street. If you look at a map you will see that that is exactly around the corner from the explosion.

Here is a link to an article about it.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-beat/Firefighters-Battle-Transformer-Fire-on-6th-Avenue-84124907.html

The best part: I didn't even know until a client called us to see if we were okay. We didn't know anything had happened until then. As my boss said, "a typical New York day."


A picture of the rubble I took while at lunch.

P.S. An extra blog for those not yet bored with this post.

For several weeks now I have had the desire to switch gyms. I am not satisfied with the one I am currently at. Many times the machines are broken and the amenities are nothing to write home about. And, they don't even open on Saturdays until 9 am. I am an early morning exerciser and 9 am is just too late. Maybe I've been spoiled by past gyms but I don't find this one to my liking.

There is a closer gym, a 24 hour fitness, around the corner. It costs a bit more but the services are much more worth the buck. It is open 24 hours a day and I can use any 24 hour fitness center around the nation vs where I am at now and that they only have facilities in Manhattan.

One of the things that started the process of wanting to change happened a few weeks ago, on a Saturday. I decided to be at the gym around 9:30 am to give the Saturday rushers time to get comfortable with their equipment so I would feel less stressed. When I arrived, however, everyone was outside. The person who was suppose to open the gym didn't end up getting there until after 10 am. What kind of gym does that?!

Needless to say, there have been lots of little things that have made me want to switch.

If you look closely at the picture, you will notice a red sign that reads "Total Fitness". Yes, that is my gym. Let me leave you with the words of my roommate after she found out about the explosion:

Well...since our gym blew up I think this is a good time to join 24
hour fitness!! :)

2 comments: