Sunday, March 28, 2010

Faced with a crisis

3/27/2010

You've got to be kidding. I had thirteen minutes to get downtown. And it was vital that I made it. I would have been fine IF the F/V subway would have been working. But I didn't realize it had been closed for the weekend.

Here I was having to take the F/V uptown to 34th Street and then downtown to West 4th. There was no way. But there was nothing else I could do. I waited patiently on the platform.

One minute passed.

Two minutes passed.

Three minutes.

There was no sign of the subway even coming.

I had seven minutes to get there. They were waiting for me.

There was nothing else to do. I bolted out of the subway to hail a taxi. Taxis kept passing. One stopped but was only going uptown. I crossed the street. Finally a taxi stopped. "West fourth and sixth avenue."

I checked my phone. I had four minutes.

He raced down the streets of Manhattan.

"This is fine," I said as I threw the driver a bill. "Keep the change."

I ran across the street. Hopefully I wouldn't walk in making a scene even though I was a few minutes late.

I held my breathe as I walked in...

The previews were still going.

I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment