Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Cinema Italiana

Classes started today. I'm really looking forward to them. On Tuesdays I will have a class on the Italian director Luchino Visconti. We watched his first film he made, L'Ossessione, and I really enjoyed it.

After class I went to a premiere of an Italian film called Il Sorteggio. It was a small premiere, hosted by La Casa Italiana (NYU's Italian Club). But the director and main actor were there and the film was amazing.

For some reason, when I was walking home after my fun filled day of Italian Cinema, I had the urge to speak Italian. I'm not sure why...

*Quick critique of Il Sorteggio
In the not-so-distant past (1970s), Italy was undergoing a tumultuous power struggle between the State and various extreme groups including the Red Brigades in Torino. A terrorist group that hoped to undermined any power the government had, the Red Brigades were not hesitant in instilling fear among the masses. Il Sorteggio is the story of a man who is chosen to be on the jury when several RB are tried for the vicious murder of those whose political beliefs still lie in the state. But he begins to fear for his life as various people around him are killed for showing any small degree of persistence to their regime. Giacomo Campiotti's "Lead Years" drama respectively and delicately discusses a dark time period in Italy's past. The story is not the traditional two-sided political drama, but instead, focuses on the dilemma the working-class man has to face as he decides where his allegiance will lie. All I have to say to cast and crew: Bravissimi! It's a gripping and moving film.

No comments:

Post a Comment