Friday, January 8, 2010

Lessons learned at Best Buy

I couldn't believe I asked HER. Why did I wait until the two salesmen walked away to ask the only saleswoman on the floor about TVs? She basically was reading off the cards next to each product. I know more about TVs than that. She was just telling me what I already knew anyway. I knew I should have asked a guy.

Wait, what? HDMI cables? That is something I know about that is NOT listed on the card. Wait, you know about backlighting and sidelighting in different TVs and what the effect of that is on the actual image? Darker blacks with more colors popping?! Did you just give me an accurate definition on the difference between 1080i and 1080p?!? I couldn't believe it. She actually DID know what she was talking about!!

"So, basically, Sony and Samsung are made by the same company so the quality is the same?"

"Yes," she said. "Some people swear that Samsung is better but they are basically the same quality."

I couldn't believe it. In all my experience buying electronics, there is always one brand that a salesman will try to sell. But this girl was giving it to me straight. She wasn't selling me anything. And she proved that she knew what she was talking about.

Lesson learned: I'm sexist.

2 comments:

  1. LOL. Funny. Most men suck in those stores too. I ask tons of questions just to see what they know and I'm always laughing at the results.

    What I realized is these are not high paying jobs, hence the quality of answers can't really be held to a high standard.

    ReplyDelete